Monday, September 14, 2009

Liar, liar, pants on fire

I got a little bit more sleep the past two nights. I gave The Mailman "snore spray" and I think it might have actually helped. I didn't see the clock in the four o'clock hour on Sunday morning. I saw all of the other hours, but, hey, one slept through is a bonus these days.

Anyhow, an issue came up this weekend with one of The Girl's friends and I'm not sure how to deal with it. The friend called Saturday, late morning, and when I was handing the phone to The Girl I told her it was okay if she wanted to invite her over for a bit. It was raining, soccer had been cancelled, I didn't feel like doing much of anything, but we did have some afternoon errands to run. Her friend it turns out was home with her grandmother (parents both at work, grandmother lives with them), so she's not allowed to go out, but The Girl can go over there. This has happened before, never been an issue, so I said okay, but only for a bit. The phone rings about the time that The Girl is supposed to come home and she asks if she can stay there while I go out and run errands, and proceeds to put the friend on the phone. Friend proceeds to tell me that her dad is home and that it is okay, etc. Well, one of the errands is buying The Girl new shoes, so doing the errand without her isn't an option. I tell her that I'll need her with me, but that she can have another 45 minutes. (I did mention that I didn't feel like doing much of anything . . . ) I eventually have to go to the friends house down the street to fetch The Girl 90 minutes later. I'm mad about her being late, and mad about having to come out in the rain to get her. I see the grandmother when I get to the house, but not the dad. This isn't too out of the ordinary, we were just at the front door, so we say thanks and I drag The Girl home with a lecture about being late. When we're out shoe shopping, something The Girl says makes me ask her "Was Friend's dad really home?" She stops talking and shakes her head, "no." My brain starts buzzing with fury, but I don't want to make a scene in the rainy parking lot, so I don't say anything. The Girl says to me "I didn't want to lie to you, that's why Friend took the phone. And I'm really, really sorry."
We got home, had a conversation about how what she did was just as bad as if she had lied to me herself, etc. She lost some priveleges for the rest of the weekend. She gets it, and I really do think that she was sorry.
I guess my biggest issue is that this is NOT like her. We never had problems like this with The Girl until this Friend came into the picture. This girl is used to getting what she wants, and she does whatever she wants to get it. I need to figure out how to get across to The Girl that she doesn't need to just go along if something doesn't seem right to her and that she needs to make up her own mind and that she needs to be true to herself and our family values, but how do I do this without seeming like I'm badmouthing the friend (which, believe me, I am doing loudly in my head)? Do I say something to the friend's parents?

The Mailman wants me to let it go for now. We've had our conversation with The Girl, she had consequences from what happend and has been told that there will be worse consequences if it ever happens again, but my head is having a hard time letting it go . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment