Thursday, December 17, 2009

Spin Cycle - Christmas morning brunch

I do my darndest to NOT leave my house on Christmas Day. When The Girl was little, we started inviting the grandparents over for brunch on Christmas morning and it has evolved into our tradition. I think if I made anything else I'd be in big trouble with The Girl, and that's okay, because these are both recipies that require that they be made ahead. I usually have Christmas Eve off, so it isn't an issue, but this year I'll be "working from home." I think I'll be able to fit it in (wink, wink).

Overnight French Toast
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
12 slices Pepperidge Farm white toasting bread (very thick)
5 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups milk

Melt butter with brown sugar & cinnamon. Pour into a 9x13 baking pan. Place 6 slices of bread din pan; put remaining 6 slices on top of those.
Mix eggs with mil and pour over bread, covering completely. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Bake at 350 uncovered for 45-50 minutes. Flip bread over onto plates and cut diagonal. (It makes its own syrup!)

Egg, Cheese Bake
9 eggs
3 cups mil
1 tsp dry mustard
9 slices buttered bread (Pepperidge Farm firm bread)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

2 cups Corn Flakes
1/2 cup butter, melted

Spray 13x9 pan with cooking spray. Cut buttered bread into cubes and spread into pan. Mix eggs, milk, mustard, cheese, salt and dpepper. Pour over bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Remove 1 1/2 hours before baking. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes until eggs are set in the middle. (As it puffs, stick a knife in center.) Combine corn flakes and melted butter. Sprinkle over eggs. Bake for additional 15 minutes.

You can also add sausages, crumbled bacon or tomato.


Note - to save myself from cracking all those eggs, I usually buy some sort of "milk carton" eggs. I've made it both ways and there doesn't seem to be much difference.

So, now you know what I'll be doing at around 11:00am Eastern Time on Christmas morning - stuffing my face with overnight breakfast treats!

Go see Jen over at Sprite's Keeper, she's got all sorts of yummyness going on over at her place!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the overnight french toast sounds amazing! I think I will try this for Christmas morning! You're linked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have room for 2-1/2 more for brunch? ;) I'm really intrigued by the overnight french toast - I think I'll make that for our Christmas morning breakfast this year! YUM!! :)

    ReplyDelete